Jimmy Joy forum

Jimmy Joy vs Huel

I used Huel daily for around 3 months. Most days I would only consume Huel.
This week I tried Jimmy Joy (chocolate) for the first time and it tastes so much better than Huel.
My only concern is the nutritional content of Jimmy Joy. Here are some points I’ve noticed:

Carbohydrates: Huel - 37g, Jimmy Joy - 54g.
Carbohydrates, of which are sugars: Huel - 1g, Jimmy Joy - 6g.
Protein: Huel - 30g, Jimmy Joy - 15g.
Vitamin C: Huel - 60mg, Jimmy Joy - 17mg.
There are some others like this including Iron, Zinc, and Molybdenum.

Also, Huel contains additional nutrition such as D3, K2, Omega 3 and 6 etc.

I really like the taste of Jimmy Joy and it’s currently cheaper than Huel but I’m not sure I want to make the full commit from Huel to Jimmy Joy without knowing that I’m going to be getting at least 100% of what my body needs on those days when I do only want to eat shakes.

Is Jimmy Joy simply not suitable for 100% use?

Still using Jimmy Joy ( finishing old version ) and at the same time using Huel for lunch. Jimmy Joy taste is nicer but, when choosing the best nutrition, IMHO, the little more expensive Huel wins because I like the macros most:

More protein ( vegan sourced, that balances the risks of higher protein intake - different from the body reaction to non vegan proteins);

No fluoride ( When bought Jimmy Joy did not saw this. Now for me it´s a no go);

Clearer, simpler and more detailed ingredients proportions than Jimmy Joy ( in the later I cannot see by the label the proportions of each ingredients that give the final protein value ( soy vs oats since in this last version whey was removed) nor even the percentage in carbs of maltodextrin used. In comparison Huel doesn´t use maltodextrin ( except as a carrier in the flavourings ) and Queal ( another brand ) on their site are very detailed in all the proportions of each ingredient ( and with time they removed fluoride);

More than 70% of vitamins/minerals from Huel come from the food/ingredients in their natural form ( In Jimmy Joy I don´t know);

Buying in bulk quantities Huel pricing approach the Jimmy Joy princing ( even if Huel is more expensive 10/20% for me I´m paying something else);

More interesting 500 Kcal per meal approach ( for me 400 Kcal is a weaker measure ) with the number of meals clearly mentioned when you´re shopping.

Bigger bags ( easier to scoop and best for the environment)

Free shipping from 50€ to my country ( Jimmy Joy only from 100€)

Those were my main reasons for the transition into Huel, that I´m going into definitely.

Each product/brand have their believers and market. I entered the “lents” with Jimmy Joy but after research and my specific needs felt Huel fits my daily life better ( 3 X 500 Kcal Huel shake meals during day and one regular meal at night). Hope my opinion helps someone.

Regards.

Heya Braed,

Thank you for ordering our product <3

To explain our current formula composition I have the following link for you here

Jimmy Joy is definitely useable for 100% use, our formula is meant for consumers with an average active lifestyle.

If you have more questions, don’t hesitate to ask!

With love,

Karel

Dear Patricius,

Thank you for the feedback, much appreciated!

At the moment our formula also gets more than 50% of the vitamins and minerals from our natural ingredients. We use maltodextrine to increase the carbohydrate amount to get the right amount of energy that your body needs. Our oats and soy flour supply more than half of the needed energy in the form of complex carbohydrates, the rest we supply with maltodextrin.

With love,

Karel

Hi,

Both Plenny Shake and Huel are 100% meal replacements aka they you could live solely of them. What happens is that what you need a day is not 100% exact science. There is not a perfect formula saying you need exactly 500g of carbs, exactly 550g of protein, …

There are guidelines that have some flexibility and room for interpretation; plus each person is different so our needs are different. For instance the EFSA guidelines (for a 2,000kcal diet that will work for 97% of healthy individuals) say that the carbohydrates need to supply 45-65% of the total daily energy ( Huel provides 40%, PS provides 55%).

What is important that they provide a balanced nutrition and enough calories, enough macronutrients and enough micronutrients which both do.

Plenny Shake also contains those. Vitamin K for instance is not subdivided into K1 and K2 in the labels by many manufacturers, but does not mean it is not there.
PS does have omega-3 and -6. IN fact it has in a 1/3.3 ratio which is considered ideal (1/1 to 1/4 is ideal).

PS is great for using as a complement for your diet, but can also be your main source of nutrients. I would only recommend Huel if you are a more active person looking for meals high in protein. As you know, PS does offer different favours, is a lot thinner than Huel and does offer pretty good flavours.

More on PS nutrition:https://latestfuels.com/plenny-shake/
have a great day

Thanks all for commenting. I found @patricius’s post very interesting and I very much agree with the following:

I think there should be larger bags available. Small bags are useful for taking to work (and could even be refilled and reused) but for home use, I’d rather see a much larger bag. Huel comes in 1.72kg bags, for example.

Thanks for this, i’ll have a read a bit later.

This isn’t a satisfactory response to my point - K1 and K2 are different. I want to know exactly what vitamins I’m consuming.

This is the selling point of PS for me. There are multiple flavours, of which I’ve so far tried chocolate and mango (both delicious), and the consistency is more enjoyable. PS feels like a milkshake but Huel feels like blended food and can sometimes be quite lumpy, even when shaking hard and for a long time. Also, the free 1000ml shaker I got with my first PS order is much better than the free Huel shakers. Huel sent me a free t-shirt though - I want a Jimmy Joy tshirt!! :smiley:

I get what you mean, but currently there is not any set guidelines for Vit K2 consumption.

JJ offers 20mcg/100g of Vit K, undefined of which. It almost 100% has both, but obviously only they know how much of each (or maybe not because the lab they test it does not differentiate between them).

Huel offers 20mcg/100g of Vit K, undefined. I would like to see where you got the Vit K2 number (just curious to know what it is).

EDIT 1:maybe I should have included the nutrition labels:

PS https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0004/9630/4187/files/edited_edited_JJ_Labels_nieuwe_verpakkingen_2018_NE_ENG_DU2.pdf?483158631707608192

Huel https://uk.huel.com/pages/nutritional-information-and-ingredients

Vitamin K can be found 4th from the top of the “Vitamins & Minerals” list, and K2 can be found further down that list after the “Additional Nutrition” subheading.

Hi again,

And there are several K2 types of which MK-7 is the most important: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5494092/.
And Huel seems to use the MK-7 form: https://discuss.huel.com/t/form-of-vitamin-k2-in-huel/6643.

Regards.

Do we know what form of K2, if any, PS uses?