Ingredients

This source mainly says that excess intake is harmful. The same can be said about water. Or broccoli for that matter.
According to your own source, everything beyond that is still not fully understood.

Which is the trouble nobody really knows

I mean not to sound boring but I think the real question is still unanswered which @jarjar211 brings back into focus:

(..) can you not add flavouring without adding artificial sweeteners ?

which I would like to modify to:

can JJ not add flavouring without adding sweeteners at all?

In other words what prevents JJ from offering a flavoured Shake without sucralose?

Thus, if JJ offers a Shake without flavour so one can add a flavour of their own choice, I wonder why can JJ then not offer a flavoured Shake without sweetener so one can add a sweetener of their own choice - if at all?

Sadly for us consumers the answer may actually be a logistical and economical one, having too many different products puts more stress on production facilities (and storage) and eventually raises prices. But I might be wrong.

I cannot bite my tongue but have to note that I have brought back another brand into my drinkable meal mix. The more I have JJ Shakes the sweeter they feel to me.

Finally and fundamentally, I still wonder why are JJā€™s lunches sweet to begin with? (I know, JJ has Pots). Imagine you went into a restaurant and saw only sweet lunch optionsā€¦

What an excellence idea and thought provoking lunch theory.
Your absolutely right, you wouldnā€™t go into a restaurant or cafe and have a baked potato with grilled chicken and veg and accept it full of artificial sweeteners and ask for it to be a little sweeter :joy::joy:

Again not sure why health companies think we require ghastly over sweetened products.

Please JJ make a flavoured shake without sweeteners in them please, or at least make it an option when ordering your shake.

I appreciate you can buy unflavoured and unsweetened, but what about vanilla flavour, with flouring from vanilla pods without adding any sweeteners surely thatā€™s viable , chocolate with cocoa powder ??

Hi Jimmy Joy, in your first answer you reference to a study from 2008.
However, there are newer studies ( 2019: Effects of Sweeteners on the Gut Microbiota: A Review of Experimental Studies and Clinical Trials (nih.gov)
Artificial sweeteners have not been tested in bigger test groups and long term effects with small amounts of the sweeteners have not been examined yet.

For me personally, I donā€™t like the idea of adding artificial sweeteners to my body 3 times a day, every day for months or probably years, so I stopped ordering any flavored/ sweetened Plenny Shakes.
I am really happy you offer the Plenny Shake Active without any sweeteners.
Thank you and please keep the unsweetened shake available!
It is really universal and I can add cocoa, oat milk and honey as I like and it tastes perfect (also the active shake blends really well, compliments on the formula). :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey @Ruben Ruben!

Donā€™t worry! the Plenny Shake Active Neutral is here to stay :smiley: it just gives us so much freedom to add fruits, other powders, and the sweetener of our choice (personally, I love it!) and thanks for the compliments!

About the link you shared, indeed, we had a look at that review in which they mentioned the study in 2008 and another one from 2017 which has some loose ends. I would like to summarise the last one and why we do not consider it relevant. Basically, Bian et al. exposed only 10 male mice to water with sucralose for 6 months. The authors indicated that the determined sucralose exposure was within the FDA ADI of 5 mg/kg (for the U.S.) but these data were not supplied. Since they didnā€™t share any data about the liquid consumption per day per mouse and their body weight, it indicates that daily exposure was more probable between 9 and 22 mg/kg (at least 2x the FDA ADI), assuming an average body weight range of 23ā€“33 g (as reported in prior articles by Bian using the same mice strain) and ordinary daily water consumption of 3ā€“5 mL. Fecal samples were taken at baseline, three months, and six months for 16S rRNA analysis, and the scientists reported that 14 taxa were significantly altered after sucralose exposure. Because food consumption was not tracked, it is uncertain whether dietary intake was standardized among groups, and the sucralose exposure amount was not properly characterized. As a result, the significance of the data revealed in this study addressing the gut microbiota remains uncertain.
More research is needed to show a cellular metabolic alteration produced by sucralose.

But please know that we are concerned about our customersā€™ interests and we are constantly testing the newest natural sweeteners options available in the EU to offer other alternatives in the near future. Unfortunately, until now we havenā€™t found a better option.

1 Like

@jarjar211 @kurkista
Unfortunately, if we just add the aroma/flavoring the shake will taste just like the neutral version with a barely perceivable hint of the aroma. As I mentioned before, to create the complete experience of the vanilla flavor (for example), we need to add the aroma which is perceived in the nose and then a sweetener that is perceived in the tongue. Both will create the Vanilla shake flavor. I will share with the team this concept of adding just the flavor to the shake and allowing the customer to add their favorite sweetener.

We got some suggestions from our customers to create a savory shake (which in my opinion would be like a cold thick soup) but the flavors do not match our base. However, if you manage to use the Plenny Shake Active Neutral in a savory application, let us know how it goes! We might be missing some ideas that only our customers can have :smiley:

There are so many other products and there is always the possibility to do it yourself if you feel qualified.
I used to make my own shakes and can recommend getting inspiration at https://completefoods.co/ and order ingredients in bulk to make it even more affordable.
You can create your perfect shake and itā€™s not that much more work - a bit logistics and storage 1 day a month of prepping the dry stuff for the month and then just 3-5 minutes per shake mixing.

I switched to plenny for convenience and because i feel not very qualified - if i knew more about sweeteners then science i think i would just keep on doing my own shakes and maybe start selling them.

Thank you for the detailled response! It was interesting to read such review of the different studies.

1 Like

Hi,

after some testing with flavoured JJ Plenny Shakes vs. Plenny Shake Plain I have come to the conclusion that the flavoured ones arenā€™t working for me - itā€™s become rather clear. I suspect itā€™s the sucralose my gut does not tolerate. What a shame!

So Iā€™ll be sticking with the plain Plenny Shake which I actually like as such without my flavouring. I do not use water but oat drink which obviously adds to the flavour experience.

2 Likes

Ahhhw, a shame indeed :frowning_face: but glad to see that you have pinpointed it for you now so you can steer clear in your case.

1 Like

They also talked about soy products that cause cancer, but people continue to consume them.

Feel free to share articles of this and we will look into them of course.
Weā€™ve done our research of course and most of it can be found here: Everything You Need to Know About Soy ā€“ Jimmy Joy

:green_heart:

2 Likes

Eating soy can cause cancer

The common myth that consumption of soy is linked to cancer originates from the misunderstanding of differences between oestrogen and isoflavones.

In my experience most people sharing this are actually consuming lots of real estrogen in their dairy products blinding out the harmful aspects of that for their own health, the animals and everything else.

hey @Dannyy, great to see you back in the forum :hugs:. The link that you added here shows a great summary of the common concerns about soy consumption and their foundations. Thanks for sharing!

@Cassy0110 Foods include a variety of compounds that may either raise or lessen the chance of developing cancer, making it difficult to pinpoint exact connections between a food or nutrient and the disease. It is challenging to research how food, ingredients, and lifestyles interact. There is no evidence showing that soy consumption causes cancer. On the contrary, it has certain phytonutrients that might help protect against some types of cancer.

@eschenfelder There is now no proof that milk hormones have any effects on human health. However, there is evidence suggesting that there is a correlation between dairy consumption and the risk to develop certain types of cancer, apparently more related to the fat content.