Big issue with B12 source in your Plenny Shake v3.0?

Hi,

I just take a look at your article, and in it you talk about the source of your B12.

If I understand correctly, you are using the dried purple laver (nori algae) to get the B12 vitamin.

In fact, there is some nori algae that contains B12. But to my knowledge, studies shows that it is not bioavailable for humans. I also noticed this paragraph don’t have any reference (and I understand why).

If you have some studies that cover this subject and that prove the bioavalaibility of B12 vitamin in the nori algae, please let me know. But if it’s not the case, I pretty concerned about that.

Best regards

1 Like

Truth is: there is NO B12 in any vegan source. That’s as simply as that. No vegan B12 exists, period.
It should be added as a supplement, in the vitamin mix, and it HAS to come from a pure molecule, and NOT from an algae, mushroom or spirulina. Other affirmations are simply lies.

1 Like

Truth is: there is NO B12 in any vegan source. That’s as simply as that. No vegan B12 exists, period.

This is false: The B12 is produced (in a vast majority) by micro-organisms, so it can totally be vegan.

It should be added as a supplement, in the vitamin mix, and it HAS to come from a pure molecule, and NOT from an algae, mushroom or spirulina. Other affirmations are simply lies.

This is exactly what I wanted to say. But maybe I was not clear.

B12 vitamin SHOULD BE added as a supplement, and SHOULD NOT be taken from a FAKE SOURCE of B12 like algae or spirulina. I totally agree with this.

But if you read the JimmyJoy article that I mentionned, it saids that the B12 comes from the dried purple laver (nori algae). And this is a very very serious issue. Because NO, it’s not a viable source of B12.

It would be great if someone from the JimmyJoy team could give us an explanation :pray:

I forgot one word, so “this is false”, you’re too strong Ok, ok. No B12 vegan source exist.
Anyway, one can never explain that “we have B12 from a natural source”, even if it is written on the supplier’s label.

Thanks!

We will forward this to our nutritionist for a check up and we will come back to you asap. Sorry for the inconveniences.

:green_heart:

Anyway, one can never explain that “we have B12 from a natural source”, even if it is written on the supplier’s label.

Just to pick you up on something there. Something can be natural without being vegan. Animals are part of nature, so if something comes from an animal it is natural.

1 Like

The natural/artificial dichotomy is more a spiritual belief than anything else. It has no interest when we talk health or nutrition (only for marketting purpose, because sadly the majority are irrational about this). I have no problem with “artificial” food source. Frankly, it is a useless and harmful argument.

2 Likes

The natural/artificial dichotomy is more a spiritual belief than anything else. It has no interest when we talk health or nutrition (only for marketting purpose, because sadly the majority are irrational about this). I have no problem with “artificial” food source. Frankly, it is a useless and harmful argument.

Totally agree with this.

@DanielJJ do you have some news for us?

Because guys, are we agree that it’s really problematic and potentially dangerous for Jimmy consumers?

I consume Jimmy shakers or hot meals daily and I’m really concerned and disappointed, because B12 deficiencies can be really serious, and because I thought your choices were science-driven.

I asked some of your concurrents (Feed, Huel) and they use artificial but real source of B12.

Thanks in advance.

Hi everyone!

Sorry for the late answer. There is a mistake on our website, and we are very sorry about it.

Many years ago we were looking for plant-based options for our micromix, and the purple laver seemed as an option but as you said, it is not the best alternative for B12. To set the record straight, the vitamin B12 we use in our meals is cyanocobalamin from fermentation. We want to make sure that you have the correct facts. We appreciate very much that you pointed it out so we can change it immediately.
I want to assure you that we’re working on updating our website asap.

Once again, sorry for the confusion caused. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out.

5 Likes

Thank you @Laura.A for your answer :pray:

2 Likes

For anyone reading this after the fact, and who has now become worried about the bioavailability of the B12 vitamine in Plenny Shake… don`t be, it was a minor error on a webpage.
The page has been updated: Comparison of Plenny Shake v2.1 to v3.0. What changed? – Jimmy Joy
Starting at paragraph " Active absorption of vitamin B12"

It elaborates on the current B12 source, and provides sources for the studies done on the bioavailability of said B12 source.

2 Likes