How much lactose?

I’ve tried jimmyjoy-plennyshake today, and the way it sits in my stomach (heavily) makes me think there’s a good amount of Lactose in there, but I’ve not seen it specified just how much. Can you give me at least a rough estimate how it compares to normal milk?

I’m also lactose-intolerant to some degree; smaller amounts of milk aren’t a problem however. I feel that about 0.2l of milk per day are ok; if jimmyjoy-plennyshake is over that, I’ll have to do something, likely eat lactase tablets with my first batch.

2 Likes

That is something I’d also like to know because I’m lactose intolerant pretty badly. I have mentioned tablets on hand, too. But the amount I have to take depends on how much lactose is involved. And this differs from person to person so even when I’d find my “level” I could’nt really give suggestions for other people.
I know there is a vegan version but it wasn’t available when I ordered and I just wanted to start. I have to take those pills anyway when I go out and have a pizza with friends or whatever, so it is no big deal to me. But the information about the amount of lactose would be really helpful!

1 Like

Hello BenCH,

While I do not officially work for jimmyjoy-plennyshake I have been consuming it 100% for the past four months as an experiment. From my experience I did notice I produced a fair amount of gas when consuming regular jimmyjoy-plennyshake vs. the vegan variation. I am also studying Food and Nutrition as well. No where have I read thus far, that whey protein is an issue with lactose intolerant people.

According to a Registered Dietitian here http://www.wheyoflife.org/node/100 pure whey protein contains only 1% lactose.

I did notice than when I took lactase pills with the regular jimmyjoy-plennyshake I still had a bit of gas but it was much different. Before it was very strong and ¨spicy¨ coming out. Now its much more gentle, with a faint hint of smell regarding the flavour. I.e. if I ate the banana flavour, on the lactose pills my farts would smell of banana rather then sulphurous.

Hi Lee,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I did actually stumble upon your blog earlier, intesting stuff. I don’t think going 100% is for me though :slight_smile: For starters I’m just happy to try it for a short while, and if it agrees with me, maybe replace the junk food meals in my life.

I’d still like to hear some hard numbers regarding lactose though; anecdotical evidence is difficult to judge correctly especially when the system you’re dealing with (nutrition and metabolism) is so complex. In an old reddit thread (https://www.reddit.com/r/soylent/comments/2et3nw/jimmyjoy-plennyshake_lactose/), people say the lactose amount in jimmyjoy-plennyshake is negligible (for me at least); if that’s indeed the case that be nice.

And for the jimmyjoy-plennyshake guys: ever consider adding just the right amount of lactase to your recipe? They do it with milk after all…

2 Likes

Hey Lee,
the ingredients say: whey protein concentrate (cow’s milk, lactose, soy lecithin, sucralose, flavor aroma, natural dye, thickener: guar gum)
So, milk and additional lactose. Which is quite common for many kinds of food. Here in germany they use lactose so the rolls are brown and shiny. And I don’t want to tell you what happens to my body when I eat one of those without taking a pill :wink:
I’m going to try my first jimmyjoy-plennyshake shake for breakfast tommorow morning.

Update: I drank the shake and took three pills. 3500FCC per pill, I don’t know if this is standardized. I think they range from 1000FCC to 12000FCC, atleast in germany. For myself this would be equivelant for what I take with 300ml of milk. And I had no stomach ache, no headache, no diarrhea or whatever. Not a single f*(art) was given :wink:

2 Likes

thanks for the information and update I never considered adjusting the lactase pills based on how much lactose is within the product. On the box it states take one or two with each meal , each pill contains 9,000 fcc lactase units. I still suffer from a bit of gas, I will try to take one and a half per meal, I get mine here.

Hi BenCH,

thanks for taking a look at my blog, it´s there as a guide for you guys =) good luck with eating the jimmyjoy-plennyshake.

I am also curious about hearing how much lactose is included within each bag of jimmyjoy-plennyshake, perhaps Pablo can inform us?

Adding lactase to the bag is actually a good idea, perhaps they can do that. It would be much easier for people who are lactose intolerant.

This is important, I also want an official answer: how much lactose per 100 g in regular jimmyjoy-plennyshake?

I’ll ask our food technologist to get back to you!

Hello Voylento and EatHealthlee!

The amount of lactose can fluctuate in the whey that we use for our Plennyshakes. A Plennyshake can contain a maximum of 1.33 gram of lactose per 100 gram Plennyshake, but at average it contains around 0.7 gram of lactose per 100 gram Plennyshake.

I hope the answer suits you, if you have more questions, please let me know!

With kind regards,

Karel

1 Like