Fluoride in the Vegan shake 2

I’m referring to this thread: https://forum.jimmyjoy.com/t/fluoride-in-the-vegan-shake/143

Please reopen that thread, and in the future do not close threads lightly.

I don’t care much about Fluoride, and I only read that thread by accident - but I thought that that question ended on a not so happy note, because:

• to some people (and the original poster, obviously) the question is important
  • many answer contain an element of ridicule, which does not make for a good discussion
  • one answer was hostile: “if you don’t like it, leave the EU” (really?)
  • it turns out that TheYsconator (who closed the topic) worked for jimmyjoy-plennyshake, that does not look good
  • the rationale for the differences between the normal and vegan shakes was not explained
  • the official answer states that fluoride is on the EU vitamins & minerals guidelines: would be nice to get a link to that
  • if that’s the case, then the question remains: why is fluoride not part of the normal jimmyjoy-plennyshake?
  • also: why is fluoride not on the list published on the website, but only in that hidden PDF link?

So many open questions. Closing a thread is the one thing that makes a customer feel violated (shut up and censored).
Cheers

1 Like

OK, no humor, let’s be serious here. A good start link might be this one : http://ec.europa.eu/health/scientific_committees/opinions_layman/fluoridation/en/
European Commission Scientific Committee on Health and Environmental Risks, 2010

2 Likes

Hey there!

I have indeed closed that topic, as the two initial questions had been answered to the best of Pablo’s knowledge. I didn’t want our ‘chatting around’ after that, turn into a “‘don’t whine’ - ‘I’m not whining, it’s a serious problem’ - repeat” topic.

If you want to discuss fluoride in jimmyjoy-plennyshake with fellow jimmyjoy-plennyshake users (or jimmyjoy-plennyshake’s staff, if they feel like it), you can do so in the General Discussion category. The Customer Support category is meant for questions that can be answered by the jimmyjoy-plennyshake Customer Support team, and that have one correct answer.

As for your questions, I’m sure that @olivia or @pablo will answer them in this topic.

Of course, I didn’t want to make anyone feel violated and/ or censored, and I know that (I knew even back then that) closing that topic might not have been the best thing to do. However, I also ‘know’ some (most) of the forum members, and all things considered, I still think it’s best if that topic stays closed. Please note that I don’t take using the Joykeeper ‘voice’ lightly, nor do I take closing topics lightly. My job on these forums is, simply put, to ‘keep joy’ and I had hoped that decision would help me with that. Nonetheless: I also can make mistakes. I will never close topics because some people might dislike or doubt jimmyjoy-plennyshake (heck, as far as I’m concerned we create a ‘why not to use jimmyjoy-plennyshake’ category). However, I might close topics that bend towards hostility.

As for I who ‘worked for jimmyjoy-plennyshake, that does not look good’: I wonder why you think that. You can, if you want to, PM me with your thoughts.

2 Likes

Hi @rho4 ,

I’m sorry to hear you feel this way and I hope you undertsand @TheYsconator 's explanation as to why to the topic was closed. I understand that you have more questions and will ask our in-house food-technologist to have a look at them as soon as possible (as soon as easter-weekend is over :wink: ).

If there is anything I can do for you in the meantime - please feel free to contact me at olivia@jimmyjoy.com.

The link that truck included list’s the Tolerable Upper Limit Intake Level (UL) of fluoride for ages 15 and above at 7mg/day.

Tolerable Upper Intake Level (UL) is the highest level of a daily nutrient intake that will most likely present no risk of adverse health effects in almost all individuals in the general populace. http://global.britannica.com/topic/Tolerable-Upper-Intake-Level

A text book for my study lists the Adequate Intake of fluoride for males 19-70 yr old 4mg a day, female 19-70 3mg a day to include pregnancy and lactating.

Adequate Intake (AI): The recommended average daily intake level based on observed or experimentally determined approximations or estimates of nutrient intake by a group (or groups) of apparently healthy people that are assumed to be adequate-used when an RDA cannot be determined. https://www.google.com/search?q=Adequate+Intake+definition&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=Adquate+intake+definition+

For The One Year Meal Replacement Experiment I will be consuming 100% jimmyjoy-plennyshake Vegan starting 1April2016, I will let you know if I feel any different from it.

Cheers,

Lee Primeau

3 Likes

I am not employed by jimmyjoy-plennyshake so I can speak from a different perspective.

Fluoride has a bad wrap but it’s ill justified. As an example I remember listening to a lecture in Nutrition 101 and the topic of fluoride came up. Immediately my professor brought up the topic how she once heard that there was a conspiracy theory relating the Nazi’s using fluoride to pacify Jewish people in WWII. From the best of her knowledge this was an urban myth, check out http://www.politifact.com/florida/statements/2011/oct/06/critics-water-fluoridation/truth-about-fluoride-doesnt-include-nazi-myth/ for more information.

Attached to this is an excerpt from one of my textbooks which shows how Fluoride is part of the required minerals…

Fluoride comes naturally from the ground, tea’s typically have a high Fluoride content.

Any substance at any level can be toxic, water is a good example. It’s best to follow what science directs us to do, i.e. upper limits, RDA, AI etc. otherwise it’s just a crap shoot…

2 Likes

Hi everyone, thanks for all your replies, and for being serious :slight_smile:

@truck: That’s a good link, with many good additional sources. I noticed however that it only lists drinking water, toothpaste, mouthwash and dental gel as fluoride sources, and I couldn’t immediately find fluorine compounds being mentioned as part of dietary intake (what you eat). From that document I gathered that fluoride requirements for dental health are already covered by drinking water and toothpaste.

@TheYsconator: I’m not whining! Ok maybe I am a bit… But it’s indeed a serious topic, because it is about the core promise of jimmyjoy-plennyshake: Namely that their product is supposed to contain everything my body needs and nothing that harms it. Personally I think that jimmyjoy-plennyshake can hardly make my diet worse than it was before, but that’s not the point. I’ve been drinking jimmyjoy-plennyshake since the beginning of 2016 and I often talk about it with friends and acquaintances. I am getting very critical and doubtful questions about jimmyjoy-plennyshake and want to have my own facts straight before using them in discussions. Also I need to be convinced myself.

Closing topics in the customer support category: I understand that wish, but I still think it’s not good. I think the “solved” marker is a better solution. How about moving this (my) topic to another category?

About ‘not looking good’: Because of conflict of interest. I expect any person working at jimmyjoy-plennyshake to be marked accordingly in these forums. I think your profile should contain the info that you were a former intern at jimmyjoy-plennyshake.

@olivia: Thanks for following up on those questions. I mainly posted them to explain why I felt that the other topic was closed prematurely.

@eathealthlee: the questions remain: why only in the vegan version? and why not listed on the website?

4 Likes

This topic has been moved from the ‘Customer Support’ to the ‘General Discussion’ category.

Fluoride is now listed in the pdfs of all jimmyjoy-plennyshake variants. And they now do not list the nutrients on the site and just refer to the pdfs. So they fixed their “misstake”. The question remains as you say why was fluoride only in the vegan shake from the beginning?