Pesticide residue in Jimmy Joy

Hi - I’m curious about the plant ingredients in Jimmy Joy and what (if any) residues of neurotoxic pesticides are in your products.

Usually I make sure to buy only organic products, to avoid any pesticide residue in the food I eat. I see that you have corn and oat in your mixtures - could you elaborate on whether these are organic or how the manufacturing proces affects pesticide residues?

I’m sure that any ingredients you use in your products are within the legal limits in terms of pesticide residue, but I’d like to avoid them completely to the extent possible. Are you considering organic versions of your product? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, according to a study, it does not matter if the plant ingredients are organic or not… They contain the same levels of toxins. (Hughner, Renée Shaw, et al. “Who are organic food consumers? A compilation and review of why people purchase organic food.” Journal of consumer behaviour 6.2‐3 (2007): 94-110.)

Also, there are a lot of “organic” pesticides on the market too. In fact, I did a quick google check and realized that the onliest difference between “organic” and “conventional” food was the fact that the “organic” ones never used synthetic man-made pesticides, but they still used pesticides nevertheless. Rotenone is a prime example of an “organic” pesticide… One that is used by “organic” farmers all over the world to spray on their crops. And yes, according to EU standards, that is totally acceptable (http://www.europarl.europa.eu/RegData/etudes/BRIE/2015/557009/EPRS_BRI(2015)557009_EN.pdf)

I always say, a well-informed customer sends an email to love@jimmyjoy.com, usually they reply within 24h. Pesticides are chemical-based, so not sure if the manufacturing process affects any residues. From my experience, its inevitable to get pesticides in your food, unless you grow it in a lab or greenhouse.

1 Like

Hi mr_seeker :slight_smile:

My bad - it seems that the danish word that translates as organic (“økologisk”) doesn’t imply the same thing in Denmark as elsewhere. In Denmark, in order to have a food product labelled as “Organic”/“Økologisk”, no pesticides may be used in the production of the food. The only exception is if the crop is in “acute danger”. Apparently the term organic does not imply the same thing in an international context as it does in a Danish context.

Never the less, I don’t really care if the food is organically produced. I do, however, care about neurotoxicity of pesticide residues. I’ll see if I can dig up some pubmed articles :slight_smile:

Oh, and also, I did actually send an email to the support at the same time as posting here - but I figured I’d also take up the subject here, since it could be of interest to others :slight_smile:

The fact there are EU imposed limits on the amount of pesticides allowed in regard to farming, doesn’t mean that there are no harmful sideeffects. Especially for infants. A couple of interesting articles:

Most of these relate to developing brains, but there is no reason to assume that they don’t also affect neurons in adult brains in a similar manner, although likely a lessened effect.

A little added info on the pesticide issue: To my knowledge, the farmed food products used in Jimmy Joy/Queal/etc are mostly corn and oat, which are fortunately on the low part of the spectrum when it comes to pesticide residues, so that’s good and most likely means that Jimmy Joy based on oat/corn grown with the use of pesticides aren’t really a big deal. Still, I’d be willing to pay more for a product made without the use of pesticides - I imagine others could be interested in this too :slight_smile:

It actually DOES matter if the pesticides are synthetic and highly toxic, or if they are natural and much less harmful to us! You have to look at WHAT pesticides are used in fact! And glyphosate is one of the big and dangerous ones, for example… Organic plants are treatened but with completely different things, that are MUCH more harmless to us. I’ve seen the complete list of allowed substances and these things are HARMLESS compared with glyphosate…

Synthetic does not equal (highly) toxic and the most toxic thing to humans IS organic and 100% natural. That being said, i don’t feel like digging in the linked study, but i remember reading that in general organic has less residue or pesticides and herbicides, i do not remember whether this was about Europe or America or generally worldwide. What you do is an appeal to nature, which is a flawed argument. The only thing that does matter is if there are residu, and how dangerous they are, regardless of whether the source is natural or not.

Dear Ruholm,

Thank you very much for your post. I am wondering if you have managed to get more precise information about the presence of neurotoxics in Jimmy Joy’s products. Have you received an official answer as well? I would be very glad to read if it possible.

Best regards,

Joaquín

1 Like