Heavy metal content

Hi Jimmy Joy,

Would it be possible to give us an overview of the heavy metal content of Jimmy Joy products? (Chromium, arsenic, cadmium, mercury, and lead)

(I feel like I’m asking way too serious questions, but if people are eating this as meal replacement, this is quite important.)

Hey there!

I have forwarded your question to our R&D super star Joanna! She will answer you within a few days.

1 Like

Hi there, do you already have an answer?
Before I start eating Jimmy Joy a lot, I would like to know the heavy metal content. Has an analysis of the heavy metal content been done? Thanks!

Hi Dennis, Joanna is currently very busy with some business meetings in Paris but I have just reminded her to take a look at your question as soon as she has some time :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do you already know more?

1 Like

Hello d.langelaan

My apologies for the delay, but as my colleagues mentioned we had some busy days lately.

We actively monitor the presence of these metals in the food supply of our products, and all levels are below (or nule) the tolerable accepted amounts :wink:

1 Like

Joanna, I can honestly not believe that, after waiting for 2 weeks for a response, this is the answer you come up with. When a customer is asking about an overview of the heavy metal content, then I expect exactly that, and not that you are monitoring it, with some tolerable amounts (set by?). I want to see the data.

You as Jimmy Joy have many good things, but openness on the nutritional values of your food product and communication of that is not one of them. Take an example to Huel among others, all of the exact contents are published on their website. They respond immediately to questions on their forum. Here is the page where they publish about all their safety and quality controls, including heavy metals: https://eu.huel.com/pages/food-safety-and-quality-controls.
This is the one point that I majorly dislike about Jimmy Joy, the very limited openness.
Heavy metals might be a tough subject in the complete food industry, since Soylent got sued for it. Especially then, this means that you should be open about it.

So, would it be possible to also publish test results for the heavy metal content? Thanks

3 Likes

We’re more than a week further again, still no response…

I’m afraid Joanna is currently on holiday and won’t be until the 14th I believe… Sorry!

This is hugely disappointing. I share @d.langelaan’s concern about JJ’s openness and communication. It has made me question my continuing use of the product in the past. I am also surprised that @Joanna is the ONLY qualified person at JJ to answer these concerns. Come on, JJ. You can do better. This should be a priority for you.

2 Likes

Exactly this. For this reason, I switched to Huel. This is beyond what is acceptable from a food company. JJ urgently needs to change something, and if there is one thing that is hugely concerning, then it’s that there is only one qualified nutrition person, or at least only one qualified to answer. And that for a food company. Very disappointing this.

Is there any news yet?

Yes this is unbelievable how bad of a service this is.

TWO MONTHS BEFORE A RESPONSE IS GIVEN ON A MAJOR HEALTH ISSUE OF A FOOD PRODUCT.

Jimmy Joy, you can do better than this.

Everyone should calm down.

If Jimmy Joy would have any noticeable content of heavy metals then it would not be allowed to be sold in the EU…

Sweden had a big issue with the EU who wanted to ban surströmming because the content of harmful chemicals (dioxins and PCBs) was too high, in the end Sweden received an exception from the EU. Food regulations are taken quite seriously in Europe.

If you buy any food in the EU then it cannot have high heavy metal content, it would be against the law and it couldn’t be sold.

2 Likes

Sorry Daan, it really does take too long but there is only one person who really knows anything on this matter and she is currently unavailable. What makes you say it is a ‘major health issue’? You’ve seen blood tests from long-time users right? Our products are very much safe, although I personally cannot give you the exact information you seem to need. Throwing around a term like ‘Major Health Issue’ seems rather unproductive, unnecessarily alarming other readers (aka hysteria). Again, so sorry we let you down on timely providing you the exact information you desire but like Joanna said: “We actively monitor the presence of these metals in the food supply of our products, and all levels are below (or nule) the tolerable accepted amounts”.

Once Joanna has a better answer for you she will provide it here :slight_smile:

1 Like

I should indeed have stated a potential health issue. Consumption of too much heavy metals definitively is a health issue, also as there has been a court case against Soylent on this very topic.
I am sorry for the hysterics, this is because of the frustration - mainly on the lack of openness about the product (lack of information about e.g. heavy metals) and the very long response time.

Hopefully, Joanna has soon time to respond and publish test results on the website :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello to all!

We apologize for the delay in replying, and appreciate your patience. We haven’t performed this test recently since there hasn’t been a perceived risk from the consumption of our products. As I mentioned before, we are constantly reviewing the safety data provided by our suppliers. Of course, we understand your concerns which are very important for us, so I’m now in contact with our partner that can perform the test, samples that will be tested are on their way :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hello Joanna! Great to see a response.

You state that you haven’t performed this test recently because there ‘hasn’t been a perceived risk from the consumption of our products’. Does this mean that you will only test when a risk has been noticed by consumption of the product? Are there no tests done to be sure it is safe?

It could be a point that normal food companies might not have to do this testing so thoroughly (besides confirming to the already very strict EU regulations). However, I think that since what you are selling is firstly a completely new concept, and secondly some people rely on it for 100% of their food, I believe that companies like JJ should be extra careful and open about this.

It is great that you are testing it now, I’m looking forward to seeing the results!

Are you, besides testing on heavy metals, also testing on pesticides?

2 Likes

Without trying to hijack the topic or derail it, but how is your experience with Huel? You seem to have switched weeks ago but I still see you super active here, so I was wondering if your switch is complete and you’re happy with the change or Huel also has their problems, apart from the astronomical price?

Thanks for helping! :smile:

1 Like

I have tried Huel. The main difference is that you can prepare a Plenny shake in 30 seconds and it has an uniform texture and consistency, it is good to drink right away. Putting in the fridge will just kind of ruin it.

Huel has bits in it and doesn’t have an uniform texture, it is not drinkable for me right after I have prepared it. I have to keep it in a fridge for a night after which is texture is quite nice and uniform. Many people also use blenders for Huel which isn’t necessary for JJ.

If I’d go camping, I would take a bag of JJ with me but definitely not Huel as it needs a night in a fridge to be nice but it feels more like a meal compared to JJ’s water-like texture. I mainly prefer Jimmy Joy’s Active which is a bit thicker.

I have tried many different products and I have to say that Jimmy Joy in the old (taller) bags which also used whey, it was the most perfect powdered food product that I have ever tried during my entire life. The texture was perfect, 10/10, the taste was perfect 10/10, not too sweet, not too strong, not too weak (like now). Nothing that I have tried after that is comparable.

I’m not gay but I would blow someone if I could keep ordering the old Jimmy Joy from 2018. I got inspired by this guy here, haha: https://www.queerty.com/fyre-fest-organizer-almost-blew-guy-case-evian-water-new-face-evian-water-20200117?fbclid=IwAR0TgozIvahss_cfVC9HoCmC3PTR_BW6UEQpph_ndsdgHOep1CiRpw3-ivM

2 Likes