Water temperature when mixing Plennyshake?

What temperature of water do you usually mix in with Plennyshake?

I have tried it with warm (not hot) water and it becomes really smooth.

1 Like

I’ve just used cold water.

Would you say it makes a difference when drinking sort of directly, and after letting it rest a few hours? Mixing it with warm water that is, compared to cold.

I think the texture remains smooth even if you let it settle back to room temperature.

My personal preference is though to drink it when it’s still warm (like a soup).

Don’t forget that if you heat it too much :fire: (e.g. boiling), you might partially deteriorate the nutritional value of the “soup”.

1 Like

I’m not sure of the exact temperature of the water I use but I would assume it’s close to 30ÂșC (warm to the touch, not too hot to touch).

I guess this won’t mess with the ingredients. Right?

Truck was right to say at boiling, there is a chance that the nutritional value will deteriorate to some degree. Some vitamins are sensitive to temperature.

Water Soluble vitamins B and C tend to fair less at higher temperatures where as fat soluble Vit A, D, E, K tend to be more heat resistant

Although heat can actually enhance certain aspects of food, here is an article that talks about it http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/10/18/ask-well-does-boiling-or-baking-vegetables-destroy-their-vitamins/?_r=0

At 30C I think you will be okay. =)

1 Like

According to the principles of raw foodism, as long as the temperature never exceeds 40 deg C it should be OK? After 40 deg, the nutritional content starts to deteriorate.

I also found this out, the texture is much smoother much faster(aka instantly). It is even smoother than having it sit overnight, Not Milkshake smooth, all the oats and stuff just gets hydrated much quicker :slight_smile:
So this might be a good trick for people who have a problem with the texture?

I just had my second shake, banana with warm water and some cinnamon. Boy, was it good! I didn’t like the shake with cold water that much, but it wasn’t that bad either. The warm water changes it completely though! The texture was super smooth and the taste was so, so good (thank you, cinnamon). It was only luke warm water, so not really that warm.

I’m going to mix it with warm coffee instead of water in the morning, see how that turns out ^^

Could maybe we have some definitive heat limits from the guys at R&D? @karel :slightly_smiling_face:

@pseudonymous

You can easily use warm water, there will be some small losses of some labile vitamins and minerals, but the losses are negligible. But I wouldn’t heat it to boiling hot as the flaxseed oil in the flaxseeds is prone to oxidation.

<3 Karel

@karel thanks for the info :slightly_smiling_face:

If oxidation is the main concern, isn’t that something we will be able to detect by smell/taste as it should make flaxseed oil ‘rancid’? Also if it doesn’t spoil those factors, how harmful is it in an oxidized state?

I have not had PlennyShake at boiling before, but frequently add warm water from a (recently) boiled kettle, especially when its cold out.

No problem :sunglasses:

Yes, you get a bitter taste of oxidized fatty acids. I don’t know what impact on health is, but avoiding any bitterness is also nice in order to keep a good tasty shake.

I guess that’s not too hot then, since I haven’t encountered any bitterness. In fact the fruity flavors seem sweeter when warm.

1 Like