Why are the Bars "unhealthy" if compared to the powdered form?

What’s up, everybody?
I have indeed seen this question come up on reddit, but I never got around to replying as I don’t really use Reddit much!
So here’s the breakdown:
We didn’t base the macronutrient ratio of the original powder off the RDIs set by the EFSA, but rather off what the nutritional literature at the time told us. That means that we actually chose to add more protein to the product than is actually recommended as we felt the RDIs are actually on the low side for protein. But because we added more protein, we had to take away from something else, so the fat content is lower in the powder. The actual RDIs for macronutrients (based on a 2000kcal diet) are as follows:
Fat 70g
Saturated fat 20g
Carbohydrates 260g
Sugars 90g
Protein 50g
Salt 6g

Now, if we put this in the context of the bars, you will see that the Twennybar actually delivers 20% those targets nicely, with two exceptions:
Saturated fat content is actually 40% RDI per bar. Why? Because it helps with the taste and structure of the bar. Without it, the bar would be a different story. Does this mean you should be worried? No. Saturated fat is not your enemy!
Protein content is also 40% RDI per bar. Why? Because the current guidelines are simply way too low. By doubling this we get a two-fold benefit: Increased satiety (which is important you’re using Twennybar as a meal) and an increased thermic effect when digesting the bar. There are a number of other benefits to increasing your protein intake, which I totally recommend everybody to read into!

Additionally, I know some people are worried about the sugar content. A couple more remarks on this:
As you can see, the EFSA guidelines actually recommend up to 90g per day, so we’re under that. But this is an interesting figure because now we see that the EFSA isn’t always in line with other health organisations and researchers (like the WHO, which recommends staying under 25g), so this should you guys a little bit of insight on how we go about using dietary guidelines to design products!

As Isabel mentioned, if anybody has questions I’m more than happy to answer them if you mail me, or on here. I just need to be reminded to get on here :wink:

POWERRRRRRRRR

15 Likes