Why not hemp?

Maybe this is something already discussed, I’d truly wonder if not.

In any case, has JJ considered hemp as an ingredient, maybe replacing soy? I am using Plenny Shake plain and add pure hemp protein to the mix. Hemp is a fantastic plant in many regards!

I do not need to pitch hemp to the Dutch, do I?

1 Like

Hahaha, no no need to pitch this to us, we have already looked into the option a few years ago. The tests done then did not come our favorable.

There are a few reasons we haven’t proceed with hemp as our protein source: the amount of protein per weight is too low (50%) vs. the amount of protein on an isolate(>85%); it is difficult to match our flavors with the taste of the hemp powder which gives an aftertaste and it is usually not as high in lysine as soy.

:green_heart:

1 Like

Fun fact: Our limited edition Amsterdam flavour did contain hemp.
Not so fun fact: It was limited, so we don’t have anything left.

3 Likes

I see @DanielJJ and thanks for the info and the fact I was not aware of:

the amount of protein per weight is too low (50%) vs. the amount of protein on an isolate(>85%)

1 Like

oh man, I wish I could get my hands on this, @Josse_Blase :green_heart:

2 Likes

I agree with you, more naturalness won’t hurt

2 Likes

Hemp is definitely a great ingredient and it has been considered as a replacement for soy in some products. Plenny Shake plain is a good choice and adding hemp protein to the mix could be beneficial. Hemp is packed with nutrients and has a lot of health benefits. It’s also a sustainable and eco-friendly option. So, using hemp in your diet can be a great way to support your health while also supporting the planet.
And no, you don’t need to pitch hemp to the Dutch, as hemp is already quite popular and widely used in the Netherlands. It’s great to hear that you’re enjoying using hemp protein in your Plenny Shake, and it’s definitely a possibility for JJ to consider using hemp as an ingredient in their products, especially if they are looking for an alternative to soy. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences!

Don’t fall for anti-soy propaganda of the meat industry! Soy is one of our oldest cultured plants and has been eaten for millenia. The nutritional value is superior to most other beans and that’s what it is, not a evil orang utan and rain forest killing crop, it’s beans. Soy for human consumption is typically not the one genetically modified and grown in the Amazon, like the feed for the poor animals that most people still like to kill and eat unfortunately.
I don’t want to have hemp protein, if I can have soy protein. The yields are much higher and more sustainable. By the way, soy has been replacing ground meat in school and army rations since the 1950s in the US. For decades it has been used to make the ground meat in chili con carne go further just the last few years it has been touted as a vegetarian or vegan replacement.

1 Like