Does Jimmy Joy has too much proteins?

Hi! I was doing maths to see how much calories i must eat each day in order to stay healthy and fit. I have a sedentary job but i go to the gym 3 days each week, i calculated i must eat 120g of proteins each day with my current weight which is 86kg.
The WHO (World Health Organization) recommend a minimum of 1g of protein by each kg of weight. Further reading point that you must eat from 1.4g to 1.7g if you are doing muscular exercise and you shouldn’t eat more than 2g of protein by each kg of weight.

A standard bag contains 134g of proteins and i need 120g. I was wondering if it is too much quantity of proteins. I want to buy the Sports recipe to increase the carbs quantity per serving but i am concerned about increasing even more the proteins ingesta.

Thanks you in advance! I love the lifestyle i am getting using Jimmy Joy. :grinning:

Unless you’re a body builder you can probably get by just fine with 50-60 grams a day.

Also, I think these numbers are not per kg of body weight but per kg of lean body weight, that is, your muscle mass.

1 Like

Your answer increases my concern about Jimmy Joy having much more proteins than needed in each bag.

Lean body mass is everything except body fat, not just muscle. It also includes the skeleton, organs, tendons…

Even if it’s more than you need, protein is metabolized more slowly than fat and carbs meaning it will take longer for you to get hungry again, which is a good thing especially if you incorporate some sort of intermittent fasting.

That is how Ketogenic Diets work. Lot’s (and I mean lots) of Protein, basically no Carbohydrates and Sugar. I had my share with Ketogenic Diets and I must say, they work pretty good. Also a good way to lose weight. Of course you have to put in the nutrients. :wink:

So don’t worry of the Proteins. Worry more about Carbohydrates. Those are not good if you eat to much of them.

1 Like

This is absolutely not correct. Ketogenic diets are known for being moderate protein, not high protein. The macronutrient that makes up the bulk of their calories is fat (and as you say, next to no carbs and sugar).

The problem with excess protein (and the issue is often exaggerated), certain amino acids are more glycemic than ketogenic, and actually raise blood glucose levels. Too much of that and you inhibit ketosis. The extent of this process (called gluconeogenesis) isn’t as high as some people believe, but if you’re eating huge protein excesses, you’re going to have trouble. Also too much protein puts strain on the kidneys which isn’t good for you.

1 Like