Is it normal to become a Fart Machine?

Hi there.

I used Queal for 3 months, and now I’m on jimmyjoy-plennyshake for a bit more than 1 month. I’m much more happy with jimmyjoy-plennyshake both for flavors (except chocolate, which is not tasty enough; Queal makes it better) and time of preparation (Queal requires at least a few minutes of “infusion” to fully dilute the powder; jimmyjoy-plennyshake is quick, it’s perfect!). And price too, of course.

But both jimmyjoy-plennyshake and Queal makes me flatulate all the day. And these farts have such an awful odor… It’s almost unbearable! :mask:

At the beginning, I hoped my stomach would eventually get used to this new food, but now, 4 months of almost exclusive powder meal has passed, and I can still kill-by-fart:dizzy_face:

Am I the only one?
Is it normal?

PS: On SpaceNutrientStation they says it could be because of the selected “cheaps” ingredients.

1 Like

I have been on jimmyjoy-plennyshake exclusively for the past 7 weeks for The One Year Meal Replacement Experiment (https://eathealthleeblog.wordpress.com/2016/02/02/the-one-year-meal-replacement-experiment/)

My Fiancee and I know what you mean about the farts. My Fiancee’s best description regarding the smell “they smell like a dog eat rotten eggs”.

For the first three days, it was horrible. I had constant, smelly gas within the fourth day it normalized. Now I only get them about two hours after eating my last meal.

Aside from personal experience, I am a Food and Nutrition student with The University of Alabama.

I have four theories of why jimmyjoy-plennyshake does this to us:

1. Sulfur, Sulfur is a component of jimmyjoy-plennyshake. Before eating jimmyjoy-plennyshake I never got the same amount of sulfur everyday as my diet varied. My farts have a sulfuric smell to them. When I would ate eggs before the experiment, I would noticed the same sulfuric smell.
  2. The type of oats within jimmyjoy-plennyshake, jimmyjoy-plennyshake uses “havermeel” the Dutch word for oatmeal. It’s known that this type of oat is a good food source for intestinal bacteria which in a way is bad for our social lives =), for it raises the production of methane, essentially bacteria’s waste. This is the gas we expel, we fart “bacteria poop.”
  3. Whey Protein: Whey protein comes from cow’s milk. When I was in the military I used to drink pure whey protein shakes. I noticed that I also had odd smelling farts from the whey protein I consumed.
  4. Fiber, within jimmyjoy-plennyshake is both soluble and insoluble fibers. Higher consumption of fibers can lead to excess gas. check out this article: http://www.everydayhealth.com/digestive-health/getting-fiber-without-excessive-gas.aspx for more advice/tips.

What’s helped for me:

I have found that both regular exercise and drinking plenty of fluids (mainly water) has helped substantially.
Typically I eat my meals at 7:20 AM, 12:30PM and 5:00PM. I found that if I ate jimmyjoy-plennyshake after 5:00PM, my nightly gas would become worse. Both within the smell/duration realm. A theory is that our digestive systems slow down at night, (our bodies do a lot of other activities at night, i.e. cellular repair etc.) so it limits the amount of energy/time digesting food. In turn this slows down the digestive system, causing the food to take longer to digest, producing more methane.

Next month I will consume solely jimmyjoy-plennyshake’s Vanilla flavor, which contains a different protein source other than whey, to see if my gas improves.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Lee Primeau
Experimental Freelance Nutritionist @Eat.Health Lee

3 Likes

Thanks @eathealthlee for your feedback.

On my case, I do not have farts during the night (AFAIK, and my girlfriend never noticed either), but as soon as I wake up, though, and before I even drink jimmyjoy-plennyshake, it starts back.

My jimmyjoy-plennyshake drinking times are something like 7:40, 12:30 and 18:30.

About the farts frequency, I would say that I get the more hideous ones a few minutes after drinking JL, and still continue to have sparse gases at a frequency of about one per hour, up to the next JL drink. And so on.

Note that – thankfully – I can hold farts several hours, which is unknowingly appreciated by my office colleagues. But I’m worried that my breath would start to stink, as a result.

I also drink a 1L bottle of clear water or tea every days, so I probably get around 1.5~2L/day of water. I can hardly drink more.

1 Like

Do you have a source for this? Are you perhaps thinking of the vegan version?

The last order I had contained one vegan vanilla seems like it slipped through the cracks. On the front it had a little V which I identified later as the vegan brand.

1 Like

That is true, the little V and a white label on the back with different ingredients from the regular one signify the vegan variety.

You mention you will be drinking only vanilla flavour, which one are you drinking during this month?

Also, I mentioned this before, but I look forward to your findings during this experiment :slight_smile:

@eathealthlee we have been adding an extra Vegan bag to some orders to promote the product a bit. Sounds like you were one of the lucky ones! :blush:

3 Likes

Cool :sunglasses: I hit the jimmyjoy-plennyshake lottery.

1 Like

I was considering drinking vegan vanilla for an entire month but figured it would be better to try them all as they taste different than the regular jimmyjoy-plennyshake.

For the past week I eat Mango primarily before that the four regular flavors chocolate, vanilla, banana and strawberry.

I am looking forward to the data too, while I will not publish the data straight out (I am planning on writing my bachelor’s thesis on it) I will include a statistical analysis from SPSS of any significant changes.

Yes, it is normal. On jimmyjoy-plennyshake you will win any farting contest :wink:

Seriously though, it varies per person. I’ve read a lot of times ‘the farting stops after a while’ but in my case it also continued after months of eating mostly jimmyjoy-plennyshake. When I stuck to just jimmyjoy-plennyshake I was usually fine, but the moment I would eat solid food I would start to produce some terrible gas. Eating at friends has been a painful experience a few times, trying not to let all that gas fly and ending up with a very painful stomach as a result.

@eathealthlee: thanks for sharing your theories; insightful!