📚 What to read while stuck at home? Sharing our selection

Are all of your outside activities on hold because of the bipolar weather too? Us Dutchies saw hail, snow, rain and sun - all in one day!

That’s why we stayed in and picked up a peaceful indoor activity: READING.
Here are some books to inspire you. Number 6 is a no-commitment-required one :books:

:one: How Bad Are Bananas? By Mike Berners-Lee. This book is about sustainability and is a book in which carbon footprints are quantified. It also has tips about how you can reduce your own. :footprints:

:two: The China Study by Dr. T. Colin Campbell. This book is about (vegan) food, and revolves around a nutritional study. It illustrates the relationship between diet and disease.

:three: The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fck by Mark Manson, a book you might’ve read or seen around already. It is a self-help guide and focuses less on how to be positive all the time, and more on how to “deal with it”: by not giving a fck, apparently.

:four: Atomic Habits by James Clear is another self-help book that gives pointers about how to break bad routines and habits, and how to make good ones. Like starting your day with 10 push-ups!

:five: Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less by Greg McKeown. A book on how to manage your time: not about how to do more in less time, but about doing only the important and essential things - actually doing less.

:six: What If? Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions by Randall Munroe. This book is a compilation of a lot of absurd questions and answers, backed up with science, and filled with hilarity by both the answers and the short comics that occasionally complement them. :eyes:

:seven: You can also take a look at our website, where we have articles on different subjects, such as health and nutrition or sustainability.:blush:

Do any of these books seem interesting to you? Or have you already read any of them? Share your opinion or other cool book recommendations below! :arrow_down::arrow_down:

3 Likes

Pro tip: i listen to the books as i find it easier to concentrate for a longer period of time.

3 Likes

Good one, but please don’t do this with What if? or you’ll miss out the brilliant illustrations.

1 Like

I finished reading Braiding Sweetgrass a few days ago, and I can HIGHLY recommend it.

It has really inspired me to think about what I can do to help the environment. But it also shows a different perspective about how we think about science.

Normally when we think of science what we really mean is ”western science” which gives us a specific way of understanding the world. This book showed me that other ways of understanding can lead us to the same knowledge. It taught me a lot about indigenous culture in North America as well. So I think its definitely worth checking out.

1 Like

Medium articles. Some of them are of supreme quality, and it is easier to motivate oneself to start reading an article than a whole book. In the end I read a lot more since I’ve discovered that platform.

Second that! I am hooked to listening to ebooks. When not working there is a constant battle in my head between wether listening to podcasts or a book :laughing:

1 Like

I cannot believe this thread has not more replies.

In my free time I listen to books and podcasts ALL THE TIME.

Currently my favourite (still listening to) is Martha Wells’ The Murderbot Diaries. All six parts are page turners and pure escapism!

2 Likes

Well, great job for pushing this one back to the top then!
Let’s see if we see some more suggestions now after yours, it sounds like a real page turner, cool subject!

1 Like

“an artificial construct designed as a Security Unit, which manages to override its governor module, thus enabling it to develop independence, which it primarily uses to watch soap operas.”

Hahaha I love this :laughing:

To keep this going a bit:

I’m currently reading Dune and I got Brave New World for when I finish Dune. Did anyone read any of the two?

1 Like

Nice, brave new world is also on my list. I’m also really into the dystopian science fiction, just finished 1984 and reading the Circle at the moment. Also reading Alle mensen deugen (Human Kind) on the side to stay positive :sweat_smile:.