Difference between 3.5 scoops and 173g

Hi there!

I’m new to jimmyjoy-plennyshake, having switched from Huel. jimmyjoy-plennyshake tastes so much better and I’m loving the flavours. I have an observation which I haven’t yet found on the forum, and I think it’s important for those who want to be aware of the calories they consume.

The serving suggestion is 3.5 scoops, or 173g. However, 3 scoops normally weighs c.120g, so each scoop is about 40g. Therefore, you’d need just over 4.25 scoops to hit 173g and get the full serving.

I’m doing each scoop kind of level, maybe heaped a little bit, but it’s by no stretch a mountain of powder. Maybe jimmyjoy-plennyshake could stress a portion size in terms of level scoops? One runs the risk of dangerously undereating on 3.5 scoops, or else finding jimmyjoy-plennyshake a lot less filling than it actually is!

Hope this can be of help to people!

Kitty

I have had similar experiences. Seeing as how the substance is such a light powder, you get the same problem as with flour when baking, which is that measuring by volume is not very accurate. I usually measure my meals with a kitchen scale, which works great. It also allows me to add a little water or coffee to the bottom of the shaker bottle before I add the powder and fill up with the rest of the water afterwards, which helps a lot with preventing clumps from sticking to the bottom and not getting mixed in properly when shaking.

If you don’t have kitchen scales I really suggest getting one, they can be real cheap and most of them are accurate enough for these purposes even the cheapest models.

Cheers!

3 Likes

Might it be the case that putting certain pressure on the powder can somehow compress it when you scoop it up? If so, then there could be some difference in weight depending on the pressure you apply on the powder when you scoop it.

Also I suppose the density (is that the right word?); of each batch could be slightly different, that regularly occurs with jimmyjoy-plennyshake competitors.

Tried using the scoop for maybe half a bag when I started jimmyjoy-plennyshake almost a year ago. Quickly gave that up and startet using a kitchen scale instead. So much easier.

1 Like

I don’t like to use the scoop in the bags. I always end up making a complete mess. Prefer the scale and a spoon.

2 Likes

I don’t like to use the scoop in the bags. I always end up making a complete mess. Prefer the scale and a spoon.

Amen. I use a long-handeled coffee-spoon. I have to do a lot more scoopin’ than the tree and a half you get with the jimmyjoy-plennyshake scoop, but I prefer the control I get with this and a digital scale.

I agree, measuring mass is more accurate than volume.

But first you must know how much energy you need per day: your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) multiplied by your Physical Activity Level (PAL).
I use this calculator, which respects your privacy (local computation) and takes into account that your BMR changes continuously with your weight:
https://www.supertracker.usda.gov/bwp/index.html
And it seems to have decent background research:

In order to compensate possible deviations, you can register your own weight in a spreadsheet.

PS: jimmyjoy-plennyshake staff should promote this insight much more. I suppose there are more people blindly following their 2100 kcal/day packaging and under/overeating.

Thanks for the feedback :slight_smile: we’ll have a look into it.

how to get the weight? do you weight them with digital scale?

Yes, a digital scale should work!

1 Like