Losing weight and Soylent, any experiences with it?

So,

Since I have gotten quite a lot of jimmyjoy-plennyshake in the mail, I decided to go on a diet too… Of jimmyjoy-plennyshake. I checked the health figures on the jimmyjoy-plennyshake with one of my mother’s “diet shakes”, and they are very similar in a way, except that the diet shake is using milk instead of water. Since I hear that a lot of people lose weight by using jimmyjoy-plennyshake, I was wondering if they are also really active in sport before that or not? For me it will be actually a good experiment to see if I can actually get myself in shape again using nothing more than jimmyjoy-plennyshake & exercise (i am a couch potato).

Currently I am weighing 83kg, 23% fat percentage, and I hope that in 3 months I can lower that amount to acceptable levels for a well-trained person. I also aim at running outdoor again, goal is 5km with a pace of 7min/km. One thing I just hate, and that are gyms… Find them too sweaty and if you are not in shape at all, it will look like some sort of religious cult with all the bodybuilders and sport fanatics. In high school they kept a limit of 6min/km for the 3km run just to pass, which I tend to use as a reference for my running habits and long-term goal. Both should be “acceptable”, but I have to push myself to get it going. I have been trying this before, its unfortunate that I could not keep myself to the plan, else I would not look like crap. Diet is mostly considering to be jimmyjoy-plennyshake, with the exception where my girlfriend decides to take over my meal habits.

Anyone who tried this before, and what are your experiences with it? How hard was it actually to get it going, and what was the resulting BMI or fat level? Might be that I can force my mother to try the same thing, she is desperate to get herself in shape again, but without any good success so far (shakes don’t seem to work that well but rather induce more hunger).

I was wondering if they are also really active in sport before that or not?

I’m eating jimmyjoy-plennyshake from Sunday morning until early Friday evening when I normally have a takeaway and regular food on Saturday. jimmyjoy-plennyshake has replaced the hotel meals I’d otherwise eat working away during the week.

7th May: 114.4kg, BMI 33.4
8th June: 108.1kg, BMI 31.6

No sport before or after (which I realise isn’t good).

Well, I have a pretty good experience with jimmyjoy-plennyshake and working out. Even though I don’t replace all my food with jimmyjoy-plennyshake, just one meal per day (breakfast), I still feel like I’m more active when I’ve had jimmyjoy-plennyshake, and it also helps me get enough nutrients.

My main goal is not to lose weight though, but to gain muscle mass. I know what you’re thinking, I’m not one of those sport fanatics :stuck_out_tongue: I am a couch potato at heart. I have a weightlifting set at home, because I also didn’t want to go the gym. Currently I’m 64kg, 2 kg more than when I started, my BMI is 23, and my (estimated) fat percentage is around 17%. My fat percentage has definitely decreased, I think I was at 20% before (also estimated), my goal is at ~15% although I still eat a lot just to ensure I’m not losing muscle. Though the real results are measurable in the weights I lift and in the mirror :smile:

I think the real reason I’m not losing that much fat is because I have been eating more sugar lately :sweat: and I’m not really doing cardio. But since you’re running, I expect you’ll lose weight easily, as long as you’re eating a calorie deficit (meaning you’re burning more calories than jimmyjoy-plennyshake will give you).

I’m down from 115 kg to 98 kg now, with a target of 95kg which would be BMI 25 for me. So yeah, my experience losing weight with jimmyjoy-plennyshake is pretty positive. It’s not that jimmyjoy-plennyshake does anything different nutritionally from balanced meals, but that counting calories has become a lot easier with it. And that’s really all there is to it - counting calories. I do walk about 5km per day (to and from work) and 10km on Sundays, but my weight loss itself is more owed to being aware of calorie intake and “budgeting” it accordingly.

1 Like

Well guys,

Like to give you an update on how I am doing right now… And I have to say I am pretty impressed! I replaced most of my unhealthy meals with jimmyjoy-plennyshake, and I started having breakfast. Apparently my 83kg was not the right one on the scale, because the next morning I happened to be at a much higher level. Independent on that, here are some nice facts:

• My calorie intake is a bit higher than my BMR. Have to replace the Cola with water and lower a bit on the snacks, but thats taking some time to get used to. At least I am not eating unhealthy pizza anymore…
  • I still eat regular meals with my gf and friends, however I am eating more varied and considerably less than I did before (most likely due to the fact that I am having breakfast). This is like once every week or so…
  • I can officially say that I am losing 100g per day. I haven’t measured myself every day, but if I take a regular measurement at the same time, the scale is showing lower numbers. At this moment I have lost 1kg in 10 days.
  • I started running, and just broke past the 2km mark, and had a new personal best for “Average pace in a week” :smile:

My girlfriend also started to use jimmyjoy-plennyshake for breakfast… Not as much as I do, but still enough so that she can have a proper breakfast and at least have a better eating habit. She had the same issue as me, bad eating habits, but she is very slim and does not seem to gain any weight…

hi there i have made pretty good results with jimmyjoy-plennyshake trying to lose weight i started september 1 2015 @ 108kg now almost a year and i’m +/- 79kg now without any or hardly any exercise i started with 3 a day now i just use 1 bar + 2 shakes ( sometimes 1 shake and a relatively healthy meal and dont forget the fries once a weak :wink: )
small tip: there ar calorie calculators on the web to see how much u use in a day (its a rough estement but ok enough) and start out eating 300kcal less or something the shakes make it real easy to measure your kcal amount

worked for me sure it works for you and everybody else to :stuck_out_tongue:

Trying to lose some weight was one of my reasons to start with jimmyjoy-plennyshake. Not as a diet shake (some people still see it like that), but to control my calory intake, while getting all the nurishment I need. I eat jimmyjoy-plennyshake for breakfast and dinner. Lately I can have the Twenny bars too for lunch, but usually it’s a salad or a sandwich.
I build up a workout routine consisting of indoor rowing (I have a rower in my bedroom) and for the past 6 months I do weight lifting in the gym twice a week.
I lost something like 20kgs over the past year. My weight is more or less stable now because of the weight lifting. Muscle tissue is heavier than fat, so it compensates. I don’t mind; I can see (and measure) that the fat is going.

I start the day with a 15 minute rowing excercise, consisting of a 5min warmup, a 4 minute high intensity part and the rest is rowing at a steady pace. That is straight out of bed. It jump starts the body and you benefit from that during the next few hours. Your metabolism is higher after the excercise, so you burn more doing the same thing.
In the evenings I usually do an hour of rowing (I use the Concept2 workout of the day for inspiration).
Sometimes I replace the rowing for a walk or bicycle ride. And the weight lifting routine twice a week is designed to train all major muscle groups and include squats, deadlift and all the boring excercises you can think of. Boring, but effective. That’s my motivation.
On the days where I go to the gym, I used to have jimmyjoy-plennyshake Sport, but now I make my own. Just a normal portion of jimmyjoy-plennyshake and then I add a scoop of whey proteine. At the moment it’s Some Kind of Whey from jimmyjoy-plennyshake, but they discontinued it. I feel that’s more than enough.

I listen to my body and after heavy training, I eat some more. Sometimes I add some yoghurt and muesli, fruit, salad to my diet. Training hard means your body needs something to burn and to build those muscles. Don’t starve your body.