Easier to clean shaker suggestions?

I currently use the smartshake but getting into the grooves around the lid to clean is a pain in the ass. Does anyone have any suggestions for easier to clean shakers? I’ve been reading about the steel shaker but don’t (and won’t) have enough time tokens to get one.

5 Likes

I really like the kind of shakers that has a ball inside, instead of the net on top. I find them easier to clean as well. As I consume a lot of shakes during a day I am not always cleaning the shaker in between, then I just put it back in the fridge for keeping it fresh.

3 Likes

Worth noting: the steel shaker is made by smartshake.
I’ve been using toothpicks to get into the little grooves.

2 Likes

perhaps not well suited for use on the go, but i use a glass pickle jar to avoid plastics, and it is the easiest to clean shaker ive ever had.

2 Likes

How do you ensure a good mix in a jar? Do you add a whisk ball or something of the sort? Welcome to the forums!

1 Like

I usually just soak the shaker for a couple of minutes and then use a dish brush to get everything out of the grooves. Works for me :smiley:

1 Like

thank you. if needed, i use a mixer ball, that is also easy to clean. but most often i find that it dissolves so well that i dont need it (always water first).

the best for me ist to find a nearby sink, open the shaker and rinse it after i finish it,
before it has a chance to dry.

also unscrewing the lid a bit without the net in it and shaking it with a bit of water is my go to solution
if there is no sink nearby. maybe shake it first with the net still in it.
(I almost always have a water bottle with me, and I just drink the water after shaking : ) )

4 Likes

i usually just let it soak in soap water, comes right of when i rinse it

2 Likes

I have used the new steel shaker for a month now and it’s my new favourite shaker, it’s the only one I use at the moment actually. It’s so much better than the normal bulky plastic shaker and super simple to clean.

3 Likes

Same approach here. When I finish the shake I make sure rinse it out quickly after. Just flip the lid and run some water in. Close it, shake it, drain, repeat. (leave the net in)
Whenever I get the vibe that it might be extra gunky I often toss a teaspoon of baking soda in there to work as an abrasive and deodorizer.

Then it can happily sit with the rest of the dishes till its time to wash em all up later in the evening.

2 Likes

I stopped using shaker bottles for this reason.
Now I just use Mason jars/ they are easy to get and there are a lot of lid options. That might do it.

That’s a great option, too!

I have the same problem as you, this shaker is really hard to clean!
I try to let it soak when I’m finished with my meal but that’s often not enough. What works for me is using the teeth of a fork to get in the grooves, which works well when the lid is soaked enough so the material in the grooves doesn’t stick.
But I’m still bummed out that I have to take this trouble.

2 Likes

What I have found works is to as soon as I am done put water in the cup along with a drop of dish soap and shake it. Then let it sit until the evening when I wash it using a bottle brush. Using a bottle brush (made for baby bottles) really helps me get the inside of the mouth hole cleaned up. And it makes sure that every little crack gets cleaned because its round shape rolls on the surface really well. :smiley:

2 Likes

Use the dishwasher, works every time. Never had a problem and they always come out squeaky clean. The metal shaker is even better because it dries properly during the drying cycle whilst the plastic ones need a bit of manual labor to dry them after the dishwasher finished working.

1 Like

If you fill the shaker with water and a little dish soap immediately (or as soon as possible after finishing) and leave it to soak for about an hour you can just rinse it and everything comes away in my experience

1 Like

I use the shaker for breakfast on the go (on my way to the bus) and then for lunch at work.
My solution to avoid that the fat/protein residue sours in the cup has so far been to just fill the shaker with cold water as soon as I get to my office. Then I use it as my drinking bottle the rest of the day. As long as it’s full of cold water, the residue doesn’t go sour so quickly.
However, there is always some residue left around the edge of the net, in that pesky, narrow gap between it and the lid. And since the top part of the shaker is the first to be filled with air instead of water when I drink from the shaker, that residue gets lots of air and can go sour anyway.
Three solutions to this:
1: Move office to somewhere with zero gravity, so that the fluid rises to the top of the shaker.
2: Store the shaker on its head (#scary)
3: Just lose the whole net.

I know what you’re thinking: Lose the net? Won’t my shake become lumpy and gross?
No, ma’m! I have tried solution 3 today, and it works like a charm. Just shake properly, and the fluid and the powder blends effortlessly. No more gunk in hard-to-reach-places, no more residue at the bottom of the shaker, no more wishes for anti-gravity.

Goodbye, net! See you never. B)

1 Like

Or you could buy a decent bottle with a mixer ball like I did.https://www.amazon.nl/dp/B01LXRWZNI/ref=cm_sw_r_oth_api_glt_i_PW6WPX7926SRRT48546H?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Works perfect. Like all things, you get what you paid for and as the pleny shaker is free, it’s also garbage

1 Like

Options for wedding cards - not sure about that :joy: