If there were a savory option, what flavours would you prefer?

I’m about to start jimmyjoy-plennyshake for weight loss but I fear I’ll get sick of sweet stuff pretty soon.
I had the (maybe silly) idea of a potato based savory option.
I’m far from being a dietician but I remember reading somewhere that potatoes have most of the nutrients you need.
Personally I think it should be doable…

Anyway, what flavours would you like to try?

My suggestion would be something like a potato- leek soup.

3 Likes

That is the one thing I’d like to see as well: some savoury options. Though the Wake Up version with some added instant coffee isn’t too sweet.

A mushroom flavour or pea soup (snert) flavour would be great. Gazpacho (the cold tomato soup) is something I’d also love.

3 Likes

No flavor jimmyjoy-plennyshake, so we can make what ever we like :wink:

7 Likes

That may be tricky… After all one of the reasons I like the idea of jimmyjoy-plennyshake is because it has a fixed calorie content.
Mixing in something other than dried herbs and spices might screw that up.

True but I think it’s more important to enjoy a good meal than to be bored with what you eat.
Juicing (or eating fruits and vegetables) isn’t an exact science, if you take too much nutriments, the body will take what it needs and trough the rest away :slightly_smiling:

I was thinking about this the other day, I think the issue with this is that a savoury flavour would also have to match the texture of the shake. We’re sort of used to vanilla, chocolate, etc being flavours we drink, but it’s much more difficult to think of a savoury flavour which is commonly drunk, and drunk cold moreover.

I suppose you could take it to soup flavours, or Bloody Mary or something like that, but I imagine that putting away a pint of it might prove to be difficult., when it’s drunk cold. Heating it up changes the constitution, which is a shame otherwise my immediate vote would be pea soup, or possibly a spicy Mexican or curry flavour.

2 Likes

Texturewise pea soup might work, since it tends to be not as liquid as other types of soups. Temperaturewise, gazpacho (cold tomato soup) and borscht (cold beetroot soup) could also work. Though I think the gazpacho would be a more popular flavor.

3 Likes

This is (almost) exactly what I wanted to write just a couple of minutes ago! (but I didn’t because, you know :S)
Which makes me wonder: how would ‘extreme flavors’ taste (as in: Bloody Mary that really tastes like Bloody Mary)? And (albeit off-topic): have you ever tried warm/ hot jimmyjoy-plennyshake?

1 Like

Drools… <3

2 Likes

I agree up to a point yes. Problem with gazpacho is that it has a very clear and fresh flavour, which is tricky to reproduce in something as -for lack of a better word- gloopy as a shake. Awesome as jimmyjoy-plennyshake is (I am a fully 3-meal-a-day convert) it doesn’t ‘refresh’ in the way gazpacho does.

3 Likes

No I haven’t and I’ve not actually been tempted either. Who knows, maybe in future. :slightly_smiling:

*goes testing, is right back.*

get’s the camera out, this is going on YouTube #jimmyjoy-plennyshakeChallenge

1 Like

Test. Blegh! Results are here:
Terrible! I tried it with the Apple flavor; I really think it’s a waste.

A colleague also tried it, he thought it was ‘okay’ but not an improvement.

You could try it though (you won’t die, I hope) and I’ve heard that some people like warm even more than cold… But I think it could be a challenge indeed :slight_smile:

Edit:
Edited last sentence.

1 Like

Another option would be to use less water and try to get the texture close to mashed potatoes or grits.

As I wrote in my initial post I think a savory option could be based on potatoes. That would work with creamy soups or mashed potatoes or maybe even refried beans.

3 Likes

I always wait 3-4 hours before taking my jimmyjoy-plennyshake shake, do you drink it always right away?

1 Like

Haven’t tried it… yet. I have some jimmyjoy-plennyshake with cappuccino flavour, which could be a candidate for that. Not sure if hot mango would taste good.

1 Like

I do wait too. It gets creamier!

According to several studies, we can taste the savory “umami” flavor even in our guts. There registering the umami flavor, feeling of satiety is stimulated.
I think this is true indeed. Because food shakes often leave me feeling missing something. Even drinking something simple like a broth cube dissolved in hot water makes me feel a lot better.

This makes me think that simply a soup like taste would suffice for flavor.
Maybe with some smoke flavor added for the illusion of eating something that is grilled?

2 Likes

If you wanna try new flavours, you can always add vanilla extract, orange blossom drops, etc. Choose you favorite existing flavour as a start and experiment! :microscope:

2 Likes